Monday, October 24, 2011

Interview with Nickie Storey- author of Grimsley Hollow-The Chosen One


Tell us a bit about you:
My name is Nicole Storey and I live in a small town in Georgia with my husband, two amazing kids, a cat that thinks she’s a tiger, and a bunch of goldfish. When I’m not in Grimsley Hollow planning adventures for my characters, I enjoy gardening, reading, blogging, cooking, and dreaming of my favorite holiday all year long; Halloween!

What inspired you to write Grimsley Hollow-The Chosen One?
This book was a mixture of many different inspirations. My love for Halloween and all things magical was the backdrop and setting for the book. My son, who has autism, is who the main character is fashioned from. My daughter is also in the book. I just took what I love and what I knew and threw them together. The book pretty much wrote itself! LOL!




What do you hope your books will impart to children?
I hope that after children read my book, they will see similarities between themselves and Gage, the main character, and realize that special-needs children are not very different from them at all. I hope that they will open their hearts and lives to special-needs kids, make friends with them, and include them.

What are you working on now?
I am working on the next book in the Grimsley Hollow series! It is called “Grimsley Hollow-The Search for Siren”.

What do you do in your spare time when you are not writing?
Is there a such thing as ‘spare time’? LOL! When I do have a few spare moments, I like to watch movies with my kids or read to them. My daughter and I love to go to stores and look at Halloween decorations this time of year. I also love to cook and bake. There’s just something about fall (my favorite season) that brings out the “Betty Crocker” in me!

Who was your favorite author when you were young?
Wow, I had so many! I have always been an avid reader and I read my first really long book (Jaws) when I was about seven years old. I would have to say that C.S. Lewis has always been a favorite of mine. I have read his book “The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe” at least 100 times! I used to go around our house and open the closet doors all the time, looking for Narnia.

Do you have an advice for aspiring authors?
Never give up. If you want to write, then write. I would suggest joining a good book club or creative writing group and read as much as you can. Lastly, take chances and be bold! 

Describe yourself in 5 words.
Mother, Daughter, Wife, Hopeful, Happy

If you weren’t a writer, what would you be?
I wanted to be a marine biologist or a writer for as long as I can remember. If I didn’t write, I would still want to do something in the writing business, or maybe I could combine the two; a literary agent that works with ocean animals in her free time! LOL!

If you could have dinner with one person, dead or alive, who would it be and why?
Tough one! I think I would choose one of my favorite authors, Kim Harrison. She is so personable and I would love to ask her why it is that as popular as she is, she is still so down-to-earth and approachable when so many other authors aren’t.

Where can people buy your books?
My book is available in e-reader format and paper back. You can get it on Amazon, Smashwords, Barnes and Noble, CreateSpace, Abebooks, and many other places.

Do you have a webpage or a fan page?
I have both, plus a blog.
Anything else you would like to share?
I would just like to say that writing this book has changed my life in so many positive ways. I have met such amazing people and made new friends. I feel like I am doing something now that belongs to me and makes me feel good about myself. Don’t get me wrong, I love my family and I love being a mom, but everyone needs something that is uniquely their own. It feels good to be able to contribute a little to my family’s financial needs and to know that my book might bring some joy to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment