Sunday, October 2, 2011

Interview with Cheri Hallwood- author of "One Wish for Winifred Witch"





Tell us a little bit about yourself.
I am the proud Mom of three very talented daughters and six wonderfully imaginative grandchildren (all girls) ranging in age from 4 year old twins to an 18 year old. I have had the pleasure of being married for 45 years to a very special man that has always encouraged me to be myself. Without the support of family and friends, I don’t know if I would be living out my dream of writng for children.

Why do you write?Where do I begin? Writing for children has been a dream of mine since my children were quite young. To empower a child with the gift of reading is magical. . . . the world then lies at their fingertips. I want to get children excited about reading.


What else do you love to do, other than write books?I LOVE TO BAKE, just ask my family and friends! I also love reading, horseback riding, and ice skating.
But my greatest pleasure is spending time with my grandchildren.

What were some of your favorite books as a child?As a young child, I was read nursery rhymes, little golden books, and Disney stories. Then my grandma introduced me to children’s classics like Black Beauty (still my favorite) and Tom Sawyer. I was hooked!!



What is the best thing about writing books for children?

It has given me to ability to go back and once again view the world through the eyes of a child.
It seems surreal when a child tells you how much they enjoy your books.

Do you remember the first story you ever wrote?

As a matter of fact I do! It was a very short, one paragraph story about a horse named Blackie! (As a young child, I wanted to be a cowgirl)

Describe yourself in five words. That’s difficult! Family-oriented, creative, outgoing, trustworthy, driven.
What do you love most about your book?
How Winifred discovers that sometimes it takes more than wishing and magic to make her wish come true. Finding a solution to a problem is an important lesson. And I love Patty’s illustrations, absolutely brilliant!





What are you working on now?
My grandchildren have asked me to challenge myself by writing my first Chapter Book.
Inspired by one of my granddaughter’s email names, I decided to meet that challenge and am currently writing a chapter book tentatively entitled “Frogwilla.” In this tale, a little frog discovers the true meaning of friendship, courage and acceptance.


What advice do you have for others on writing for children?
Write whenever and wherever you can. It is important to write something every day. In order to be a good writer, it is also important to be a good reader. Read lots of children’s books, especially the genre that you are interested in writing for. Join writing groups . . . the Society of Children’s Book Writers & Illustrators is one of the best.

Do you have a website and/or fan page?
Yes, my website is; www.foreveryoungpubishers.com and you can visit and become a fan on Facebook at www.facebook.com/foreveryoungpublishers.


Where can we find your books to buy?
My books are available through Barnes & Noble, amazon.com,, my facebook page and website, and from your favorite bookseller.


Anything else you want to share?
To tell your readers to never give up on their dreams! I was 57 years old before I began this wonderful journey.



No comments:

Post a Comment