Monday, January 2, 2012

Interview with Jennifer Wallis author of Adventures with Scarlet the Dolphin: Green Sea Turtles


Tell us a bit about yourself.I have been married for almost 8 years. I have 2 daughters, a 4-year-old, Addie and a 2-year-old Faith. I work part time as a school social worker and also teach adjunct at a few local universities.

Tell us 3 interesting/crazy things about you?
1. When I was 19, I went on a family vacation and had a dolphin encounter with a dolphin named Scarlet.
2. It is my goal to travel to each state at least once during my lifetime.
3. It was my goal last year to read at least 18 books, I ended up reading 33!



What inspired you to write Adventures with Scarlet the Dolphin: Green Sea Turtles?
I have always been interested in sea life and love dolphins so I decided to make learning about sea life fun for children. Plus, I wanted to teach my own daughters to follow their dreams and nothing has made me happier than reading my own book to them.



What do you hope children learn from your book?
In this book, it is my hope they learn all about Green Sea Turtles. For the series, it is my hope for children to learn about all the different animals in the sea.


Do you have any other books you are working on? If so give us a sneak peek.
The second book in the series, pending publication, will be Adventures with Scarlet the Dolphin: California Sea Lions. And in this book Hailey and Scarlet will go to San Fransico to learn all about California Sea Lions.

How old were you when you began to write stories?
I came up with this idea years ago, but did not start writing until I was 29 years old.

What are your favorite children's authors/books?
As a school social worker, one of my favorites is Cheri Meiners. I also really like Eric Carle, but I do love all children's books and have quite a collection at home.

What advice would you give other aspiring writers?
Never give up on your dreams!

What question have you always wanted to be asked in an interview? How would you answer that question?
What makes you the proudest?
I have had a lot of accomplishments over the years, however nothing makes me prouder than being a mommy to Addie and Faith. They are truly the most amazing children and always bring a smile to my face. They are the greatest gifts I could have ever asked for.

What do you do in your spare time when you’re not writing?
Spare time, what's that!!! In my spare time I enjoy reading and traveling.

What has been an obstacle in your writing career?
Finding time to write, and to find the courage to send it off to a publisher. I wrote this book 2 years ago and it sat on my computer. During the summer of 2011, I finally did some resreach on different publishing companies and picked one to send it to as a trial run. I was fortunate that the first person I sent it to liked it and wanted to publish it.

Anything else you would like to share?
I want to thank everyone for all their support on this remarkable journey. This has been a dream come true.

Where can we buy your books? Do you have a web page or fan page?
You can buy the book on www.amazon.com and at www.barnesandnoble.com

The website is: http://www.scarletthedolphin.com/ You can also follow Jennifer at Twitter or FaceBook


Click here to read Scarlet the Dolphin Book Reviewl



1 comment: