Wednesday, October 12, 2011

From My Bookshelf to Yours: Not Fat Because I Wanna Be by LaNiyah Bailey



Not Fat Because I Wanna Be deals with a tough social issue that is plaguing our young people today. The issue is bullying. The main character, Jessica, is picked on because of her weight. In this story she learns to stand up for herself  and how to educate others about her health issue. This book will be helpful for children who are victims of bullying and also give insight to those who bully others. 

This book is a great educational tool that teaches a valuable lesson about treating others with dignity and not  judging others by their looks. Parents and anyone that works with children should share this book with them. The Parent-Teacher Guide in the back of the book will encourage questions and discussions. There are also tips on how to prevent bullying and obesity.

My favorite part of the book is LaNiyah’s pledge.  “I am beautiful. I am loved. I will not let what others say define me. Bullying is not cool!!!” The book is a little long so if being used for younger children it should be read in parts. What an awesome book written by an awesome girl!








Want to win a free copy? Go to Wild About Reading
*A free copy of this book was given to me for  a honest review.  No other compensation was provided for this review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment