Monday, March 5, 2012

Interview with Matthew Toren, author of Kidpreneurs


What inspired you to write “Kidpreneurs”?
As a life-long entrepreneur, it’s always been important to me to pass on my knowledge and love for entrepreneurship to my own kids. When my daughter was old enough to begin to learn about entrepreneurial concepts, I went searching for a book that would help me teach her in a way that spoke to her age level while instilling practical information that she could use right away as well as throughout her life. I quickly realized there was nothing in print that fit the bill.
My brother Adam and I are always looking for business opportunities and chances to help people succeed – especially kids. And we know the best opportunities often come when you can find a need and fill it. So when we realized the book I wanted didn’t exist, deciding to write one ourselves was pretty natural.

What do you hope your books will impart to children?
Whether we’re talking about money management, organizational and planning skills, or how to work well with others, entrepreneurship teaches lessons that anyone can use throughout their lives. Our goal with Kidpreneurs is to help kids realize all the benefits entrepreneurship and gain critical skills they can use whether they become business owners or decide to work as employees.

What are you working on now?
My brother and I always have a number of projects going at once. Our latest book, Small Business, BIG Vision was recently released by Wiley, we have a number of website projects we’re working on, and our consulting business is going strong. We just love entrepreneurship and can’t seem to get enough of it!
What do you do in your spare time when you’re not writing?
One of the great advantages of owning your own business is that you decide how to spend your time. When I’m not writing or working on a business, I spend quality time with my family, and I really enjoy traveling to exotic destinations.
Who was your favorite author when you were young?
My favorite author was - and still is - Napoleon Hill. Even though his writings were first published decades before I was born, I have always found his advice to be timeless and infinitely valuable. 
Do you have any advice for aspiring authors?
It seems like just about everyone has had a dream to write a book at one point or another. But not many people actually make it happen. So my best advice is to just do it. If you’re not sure you’re a good author, don’t worry about it. Just get it down on paper and work on editing and improving it from there. A good editor or writing consultant can help you get your work to where it needs to be, but you have to take the first step and get started.
Describe yourself in 5 words:
Caring , loving, open-minded, unique, honest
If you weren’t a writer, what would you be?
My brother and I don’t actually consider ourselves writers. We’re entrepreneurs who happen to have written books. Our life-long experience in business makes us uniquely qualified to provide advice to entrepreneurs and “Kidpreneurs” and books are a great way to get the message out.
If you could have dinner with one person, dead or alive, who would it be and why?
I’ve been an admirer of Richard Branson since I was a teenager. He epitomizes what it means to be an entrepreneur. Branson lives life to its fullest and gives it his all 100% of the time. On top of that, Branson gives back and serves as an inspiration to millions. Having dinner with Richard Branson would be an awesome evening. 
Where can people buy your books?
People can learn more about Kidpreneurs and purchase the book at www.Kidpreneurs.org. Small Business, BIG Vision can be found at www.sbbv.com.
Do you have a web page or fan page?
In addition to the websites for the books, we have Facebook pages for each, at www.facebook.com/KIDPRENEURS, and www.facebook.com/SmallBusinessBigVision.
Anything else you would like to share?
I’d just like to thank you for taking the time to learn more about Kidpreneurs. I really appreciate it and love what you’re doing.





Click here to read Kidpreneurs Book Review

No comments:

Post a Comment