Monday, December 5, 2011

Interview with Kathryn Cloward, author of Kathryn the Grape's Colorful Adventure

Tell us a bit about you?
I am 37 years old and am native to San Diego.  I live less than a mile away from the home I was raised in, and where my parents still reside today.  Just like in the Kathryn the Grape books, I have three older brothers that I love very much, and who lovingly still tease me.  My five year old son is my greatest source of inspiration and joy.   



What inspired you to write “Kathryn the Grape's Colorful Adventure”?
The idea for this particular book, which is the second book in the Kathryn the Grape series, came to me inNovember of 2009, as I was walking with my friend, Jennie Lapointe, around San Diego Bay.  We wanted to find a way to teach children about the energy points in their body, but in a fun and new dynamic way.  Jennie and I came up with the idea of matching the colors with particular symbols on a charm bracelet to help teach children that they are colorful.  

This story was developed before the first Kathryn the Grape book was illustrated, and the reason whyKathryn the Grape's sleeves are always rolled up is because her wrists needed to be exposed in the second book so the charm bracelet would be always seen.  One of my favorite parts about creating theKathryn the Grape series is all the "big picture" visioning it requires.  Many characters and concepts that are being introduced in the upcoming third book impact future books in the series.


What do you hope your books will impart to children?
The overall purpose of the Kathryn the Grape books are to help children develop authentic self love and self acceptance. Every story has an affirming message for children that help them feel good about themselves, be accepting, and compassionate toward others.  Children learn about themselves through the lessons that Kathryn the Grape is learning.  


What are you working on now?
I'm working on a lot of exciting things for Kathryn the Grape right now.  

"Kathryn the Grape's Magical Hour" radio show launched on Wednesday, November 30, 2011, at Noon PST / 3Pm EST on VoiceAmerica Kids.  The show is for kids, and hosted by kids.  Audrey and Zara are co-hosting the show and they are both wonderful 10-years old girls who well represent the messages of Kathryn the Grape.  Everyone can tune in to the show on Wednesdays, or download the episodes for free from the show archives or iTunes.  We have details about the show on KathryntheGrape.com 

Another project I am super excited about right now is the upcoming Kathryn the Grape sing-along album.  I am co-writing the album with musician Astra Kelly, and we have already completed three of the six songs projected.  The album is a natural extension of sharing the messages of Kathryn the Grape, and will be available April 1, 2012.

The third book in the Kathryn the Grape series will be available by the summer of 2012, and it is a story that takes place in Kathryn the Grape's school classroom.  It is a story I created based on two conversations that I had with my son this past year.  Ginny Hornby is the co-author on this book, and Christine Winscott continues as the illustrator.


What do you do in your spare time when you’re not writing?
During the day I am quite busy running my companies, meeting with clients, and developing my radio show.  So when I am not working, I really cherish and nurture my spare time.   I find my greatest moments of joy when I am spending time with my family and creating memories with my son.  I also have come to nurture and cherish dedicated blocks of alone time, where I hike the mountain near my house or write in my journal in the meditation space of my home.  If you are wondering when I actually write Kathryn the Grape stories, I do 90% of that writing between 2am and 7am.  I just wake up and know what I need to write, which has been happening on and off for almost three years now.


Who was your favorite author when you were young?
I was not an avid reader when I was young.  I liked to play games with my brothers, or make-believe in my room with my dolls...I had a huge imagination!  I most loved story time with my mom, as she used to read to me with the most animated voice inflections.  That is how I now read to my son too.   When I started to really sit down and read on my own for pleasure, I was most drawn to the Judy Bloom books.  


Do you have any advice for aspiring authors?
Trust your intuition and follow your dreams.  Don't allow self doubt or naysayers influence what you know you are meant to do.  


Describe yourself in 5 words
Colorful
Intuitive
Compassionate
Animated
Magical


If you weren’t a writer, what would you be? 
Well, if I had the vocal talent, I would pursue my childhood dream of being a country music singer/songwriter.  However, with the creation of the Kathryn the Grape sing-along album, I feel that I am in a way fulfilling that dream as I am creating original songs for others to enjoy, and I will be singing a little on some of the songs.

If you could have dinner with one person, dead or alive, who would it be and why?
Oprah.  I think Oprah is a fascinating human being, and having the opportunity to sit and chat with her would be amazing.


Where can people buy your books? 
You can purchase autographed and personalized Kathryn the Grape books at our website store, at www.KathryntheGrape.com.  $1 of every book sold on our website is donated to a non-profit organization through the Kathryn the Grape Fund.  Books are also available at all online book stores including Amazon and Barnes & Noble.  We also have both books available for digital viewing on the Kindle and Nook Book   



Do you have a web page or fan page?
Yes, you can find out more about Kathryn the Grape at http://www.kathrynthegrape.com/ and we do a lot on our Facebook and Twitter pages.  


Anything else you would like to share?
I am a huge believer in the power of collaboration, and I am thankful for the amazing team of people who work with me on Kathryn the Grape. I trust that I will continue to be led to the right people who are meant to be part of this magical and colorful journey.

Click here to read   Kathryn the Grape's Colorful Adventure Review

No comments:

Post a Comment