Sunday, February 5, 2012

Interview with Author Melanie Milburn of I Love You More Than Chocolate





About Melanie
Melanie is a gifted musician, award winning songwriter and a dedicated preschool teacher. Her children’s concerts are fun with music that is jazzy and entertaining. The lyrics are inviting and relate to the everyday experiences of a young child. You will find yourself humming, tapping and clapping right along with your little ones as Melanie shares her children’s songs.
Melanie’s family concerts will touch your heart in many ways. Her original songs are about real life experiences such as letting go of your children, healing from a miscarriage and falling in love with Jesus. Her songs will make you laugh and cry.
When not writing songs, performing concerts or teaching preschool, Melanie can be found living in beautiful Durango, Colorado with love of her life, her husband, Joe.


What do you hope your book, I Love You More Than Chocolate, will impart to children?
I believe ALL children have the right to feel loved.  I also believe it is impossible to overdo it when telling a child they are loved.  I hope this book will remind ALL children they are special and loved.  If a child feels loved by reading/singing this book, then I have made a difference in the life of a child.

What are you working on now? 
I am presently working on 2 more children’s books.  Both of the books were originally songs, just like “I Love You More Than Chocolate”.   One is about using your imagination and the other is a true story about a little boy who spent a lot of time in the time out chair at preschool, and how I think he felt about it. It is called the “Time Out Chair Blues”.

What do you do in your spare time when you’re not writing?  
Spare time?  What is that?   In my spare time, I love taking long walks with my husband, Joe, while exploring God’s beauty here in Durango, Colorado.

Who was your favorite author when you were young?
I loved Frances Hodgson Burnett! “The Secret Garden”, and “The Little Princess”, were my two favorite books growing up.

Do you have any advice for aspiring authors? 
Write about what you know; write about what you have experienced’ and write about what you are passionate about.

Describe yourself in 5 words
Compassionate, sensitive, energetic, spontaneous, and playful!

If you weren’t a writer, what would you be?  
 I love my job as a preschool teacher, and I love children.  I am also a singer/songwriter and my job allows me to use my love of music while teaching children through songs and movements.  I guess if I HAD to choose another career it would be the lead singer in a rock and roll band! 

If you could have dinner with one person, dead or alive, who would it be and why?  
Tim Tebow.  I am a huge Denver Bronco fan.  Tim Tebow is the quarterback for the Denver Broncos.  He has taken so much criticism and yet he always responds with nothing but integrity and class.  I would love to know how he has learned (at such a young age) to handle all that pressure so graciously.

Where can people buy your books?  
My books can be purchased on amazon.com, on my web site, www.melaniemilburn.com, Maria’s bookstore, in Durango, Colorado and from me!



Do you have a web page or fan page?
 Yes, I have a web site.  It is www.melaniemilburn.com

Anything else you would like to share?
I also hope this book will help parents put life in perspective.  We all have the tendency to get so busy with life that we forget to slow down and make sure our children know how special they are and how much we love them.  Children need to hear that they are loved.  Parents, cherish your time with your little ones.  They grow up so fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment